Indenture (i.e. conveyance) re Baptist Chapel below Kings Head in Brixworth Rd, dated 1-12-1843, between Williams Ekins (of Brixworth) selling for £140 to Richard Baker (farmer), Thomas Warner (Baptist Minister), Williams Adams (farmer), Richard Letts, Thomas Coleman (blacksmith), John White (labourer), Henry Clarke (shoemaker), Thomas Lebutt (brazier), to be used by the these parties in Trust as a Chapel and Meeting House 'as a place of public religious worship for the service of God by Protestant Dissenters called the Independent and particular Baptists. William Capell (Innkeeper - of the Kings Head) was also a party to the deed acquiring a 4 ft wide strip to the north of the Ekins property to be used as a roadway and to be separated by a stone wall erected at Capell's expense.
It includes the following in its Schedule:
9-10/4/1790. Indenture of release and lease between Major Dyke and Hannah his wife, transferring the lease to William Maine, with William Johnson a third party
31st George 3rd 1791. Extract of Fine between William Johnson (Plaintiff), Major Dyke and Hannah plus Anthony Bradley and Mary his wife (Defendants)
23-24 March 1810. Indentures of release and lease, between William Maine, transferring or selling the lease to John Walton, with Jeremiah Briggs a third party.
29-9-1818. Attested copy Indenture Mortgage between John Walton, and Thomas Knight
16-6-1823. Attested copy Indenture between Thomas Knight, Thomas Bunting, and John Walton
21-22/12/1829. Indentures of lease and release and appointment between John Walton, transferring or selling the lease to John Brettell and Thomas Sharp
23-24/6/1831. Indentures of lease and release between John Brettell and Thomas Sharp, transferring or selling the lease to Thomas Underwood, Joseph Ridings Brown, Benjamin Dawson Norton with John Walton as another party
10-11/2/1841. Indenture of lease and release between Thomas Underwood, Joseph Ridings Brown, Benjamin Dawson Norton, transferring or selling the lease to Williams Ekins, with Thomas Cave Hall as a third party
October 1843. Deed Poll under the hands of Thomas Underwood, Joseph Ridings Brown, Benjamin Dawson Norton.
It is probable that the building on the site in 1843 was re-faced at this time.
There was a Baptist Meeting House (Mercury 21 March 1840) earlier than 1843, capable of holding 300 people, This (adjoining the Kings Head) was for sale (Mercury 2 July 1842)
The origins of the Midlands Lace Association. Georgina Roberts, wife of John Llewelyn Roberts, vicar of Spratton from 1862 - 1891, was an extremely accomplished lace maker. She was the prime mover in the formation of this Association, and had also almost certainly taught Catherine Channer who then taught lace making in Spratton and other villages (getting to them by bicycle) from 1890. Later, on her return from India in 1909, her lace school was at 26 High Street, Spratton (see 0207).
License granted to Mary Hammond (after her husband Daniel had died). They were landlords of the Rose & Crown (previously the Brickmakers, and before that the 'Live and Let Live'), a Hipwells of Olney Inn until 1922. It became a Phipps house in 1900. Harry Hammond bought the house in 1925 after Phipps had closed it in 1922. It was let to Arthur Copson, who carried on the business of poulterer until 1935, when it became Hammonds Dairy until 1988, when it was bought by the present owner.
1826 - Farm sale details, which record the White Horse Inn.
This was an attempt by Francis Beynon Hackett to sell his Estate of some 484 acres, which did not by then include the Hall and 40 acres sold to Robert in 1821 (but leased from 1818). None of these Lots sold, as the renewal of earlier mortgages after the sale date testifies.
Version 3 shows the extent of property (grey hatched) mortgaged by Hackett in 1817, which included the Hall and 34 acres then 'occupied' by Hackett (and again later - but without the 40 acres then sold to reconciled to the 257.6 acres in that first mortgage
This was an attempt by Francis Beynon Hackett to sell his Estate of some 484 acres, which did not by then include the Hall and 40 acres sold to Robert Ramsden in 1821 (but leased from 1818). None of these Lots sold, as the renewal of earlier mortgages after the sale date testifies.
Version 3 shows the extent of property (grey hatched) mortgaged by Hackett in 1817, which included the Hall and 34 acres then 'occupied' by Hackett (and again later - but without the 40 acres then sold to Ramsden) reconciled to the 257.6 acres in that first mortgage
Some of the land is easily identifiable with land awarded to Francis Beynon in the 1766 Enclosure Award
Northampton Mercury records a similar attempt to sell by notice on 24 August 1822
Lot 1 (same in 1826) is the 'Manor' opposite the church with 3-3-8 acres in the occupation of Thomas Wright
Lot 2 (same in 1926) is the land to the west of A5199, 78--2-6 acres, in the occupation of Peter Martin, Thomas Phillips and Martin Pearson.
Lot 3 (? not in 1826) is a farm house with 0-2-4 acres in the occupation of Martin Pearson
Lot 4 (same in 1826) is a farmhouse with 212-0-16 acres, in the occupation of Thomas Wright, Martin Pearson and John Herbert
Lots 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 (Lot 5 in 1986) are the farmhouse and land totalling 90-2-17 acres, in the occupation of Peter Martin with Samuel Tilley having (probably) plots 68 and 69.
Lot 10 (Lot 6 in 1826) of 23-2-6 acres is in the occupation of Mrs Bosworth.
Lot 11 (Lot 7 in 1826) of 19-1-13 acres, is in the occupation of Mrs Bosworth
Lot 12 (Lot 10 in 1826) is the White Horse with 0-1-1 acres, in the occupation of Thomas Phillips
Lot 13 (Lot 9 in 1826), 53-0-32 acres, is in the occupation of Martin Pearson and Thomas Wright