Map in connection with sale of land in the south-east of the Parish owned by W W Brocklehurst. It is presumed that he did not live in Spratton, so was an 'absentee' landlord-he clearly had a relation who was farming in Warwickshire and one who was a solicitor in Macclesfield It is described as "Studds Farm", and we know that it was one of four plots owned by Edward Studd, but that there was an intermediate owner (Lichfield) before Brocklehurst bought it. It is noted that it had been let to R H Gilby for about the last 30 years-we know that Gilby started farming in Spratton around 1877, and that this plot was farmed by Smeaton in 1880. The date of the Gilby involvement with this plot is therefore established as from about 1888. The field names are those shown on the 1932 field name survey. The rent was just over £1 per acre, which was very low for Spratton at that time.
We do not know who bought this land. It may have been the Gilby family or another investor