Partridge's Exclusive Series of Sepia view Postcards of Spratton
Published for E. Partridge, Ye Olde Established Stores Spratton
295/5 Checquer's Inn, Spratton
The house, of brick stone and cob, is known to date back to at least 1630. Fire Insurance plate, number x48618 (missing its first number) is a Sun Fire plate, whose records are held at London Metropolitan Archives at Clerkenwell. The overhang on the north face (a bit of a mystery according to the experts) is found on the old photos back to at least 1902.
In the 19th century known landlords were William Pearson in 1841, William Pearson Junior in 1881, and Miss Sarah Pearson in 1890. In 1901 it was owned by Northampton Brewery Company (probably bought in 1897 when it was up for sale as reported in Northampton Mercury 19 February 1897), and the landlord at that time was Edward Cheney. NBC was acquired by Phipps in the 1920s. At this time, it was the main pub in the village with Bell Ringers suppers being held there. After Mr Cheney, landlords were Joseph Marlowe in 1910, Albert E Gooden in 1920 and during World War 2, the landlords were Gertie Bannister and Harry Bannister (the cellars were used as air raid shelters). They had three children - Irene, Dora and Cecil. Dora married Ron Lloyd, but she died aged 35. Ron then married Joyce and, when the Chequers was closed in 1955 (due to lack of car parking), they moved to the Kings Head. In the 1970s, the Brooke-Taylor family lived here - nephew Tim is well known as one of the "Goodies".