The Kings Head is thought to stand on the site of a mediaeval hostelry used by visiting clergy from the Abbey of St. James in Northampton.
The present building probably dates from the 1600s, and there is a complete stone mullion window opening in the west gable end (see image 1628). The extension to the pub to the east is of uncertain date, the east gable appears to be of limestone and there is a date stone, but this is rendered over.
In the late 20th century the small rooms were opened up into one large room, at one end of which is a well preserved well. This would have originally been outside the building but is now contained within an extension. Note the old leaded pane windows and the absence of the lower window on the Manor Road frontage.
It is believed that it was owned by Northampton Brewery company in 1902, the company being bought by Phipps in 1925. It was sold to Watneys in the 1960s, and became a Mann's house in the 1980s (when the steps to Brixworth Road were removed), was closed in 1995, bought by the Nolans in 1996 and by Churchill Taverns in 1999.
It is known that it was owned before 1807 by William Main, being sold that year to Michael Smith (Record Office YZ 5957)
Known Landlords have included John Bromwich (died in 1826, 'Mercury' 28 January 1826), Joseph Master probably until 1832 ('Mercury' 21 August 1830), William Allen from 1832 to 1842 ('Mercury' 8 December 1832 and 2 February 1842), William Capell (1849), John Capell (on his father's death in 1859) until his death in 1867, when it was sold to L M Newton - a baker- who tenanted it to Thomas Davis (1869) followed by Mrs Mary Davis, William Thompson (1891), A Thomas Green (1910), Arthur J Wood (1914), Archibald Squires (1930s), Fred Turnell (1940s), Jeff Tite (1953), Frank Archer (1956) followed by Bill Stevens, Ron Lloyd (1959). Mr Brown (1982), Alex Dodd (1985), Katie Stewart Katie Stewart (1994), Simon Shaw (1995)