Manor Road showing The Chequers public house and thatched Erskine Cottages, owned by the Erskines.
There were eight 17th century cottages (including numbers 14 & 16, which remain today), as well as the cottage near the C of E School (now Roseholme), which were owned by Lord Erskine and let out. At the end of the 1930s, tenants (from the cottage closest to Smith Street) were Mrs. Hudson, Mrs. Roberts, Mrs. Lilley, the Oldfield family, Walter Wykes, Mrs. Martin, Arthur Horne and Bert Wilkes. By 1948, Mrs Oldfield was still in occupation, paying an annual rent of £7-16s-0d, as was Mrs Lilley (£7-16s-0d). Other tenants were H Wykes (£10-8s-0d), Mrs Lovesey (£9-2s-0d), J Griffen (£10-8s-0d) and Mrs Haytor (£9-2s-0d). Lord Erskine started the renovation of these, sometime in the 1930s, but work took much longer and was more expensive than envisaged, so only numbers 14 and 16 were completed before the rest of the refurbishment was abandoned. As a consequence the remaining cottages were condemned and demolished as a result of a Clearance Order, which provided that the properties were to be vacated within two years from May 8th 1947.