The house was built in 1800, as evidenced by the very faint date stone on the road gable end.
The 1891 census records an Emily Crawley, of independent means, living here.
The house was owned by the Nottingham family from 1948/9 to 1966. He was a director of Philadelphus Jeyes, and his daughter Anne married Charles Gilby after Charles and Stella Gilby split up. Possibly, Brian Dickens lived here after that.
It is also known that it was the vicarage in the late 1950s (at the time of the Rev. Pettit, vicar from 1947 - 1968), and that Mr and Mrs John Cockeram lived there at another time - they were responsible for the restoration of the Eagle Lectern in the Church in 1989.