Holly House in the foreground, part of Spratton House back left, and the cottages (once used for the staff of Spratton House) on The Green, Yew Tree Lane (now a single house). Thomas Butlin's brother, Edward (born 1793 & brother of Thomas Butlin of Spratton House) lived in Holly House next door with his wife and daughter and continued with the family's wool trade interests after Thomas had diversified into iron and engineering. After a serious family disagreement, Thomas blocked up the gateway between the two properties and raised the low brick wall to a height of 12 feet.. Both brothers are buried in the churchyard and their families out up elaborate memorial plaques to them in the church. From 1901 or earlier to 1911 or later, the house was in the occupation of Mr R Elsdale (born in New Zealand, and living on own means), but was owned (1910 revaluation) by the Featherston family, who lived at Cotfield. Charles Matts, who bought 317 acres of land (of which 244 acres were in Spratton) from the Langham Estate in 1911, came to live at Holly House (did he lease or buy? Charles Matts does not know) in 1918, leaving it around 1930. (Matts family still farm from Creaton Lodge, previously known as Creaton Grange). Mr Shaw, headmaster of the Primary School, lived at Holly House in the 1930s and 1940s. Their son, Derek, married Margaret, daughter of the Copsons, who were living at The Manor in Church Road. After Mr Shaw, a Mr Geoffrey Hammond, who was living here at the time of this photograph. The two cottages in the foreground of Holly House were, it seems, still in independent occupation at this time - by two spinsters, one called Miss Newcombe who was always dressed in black, the other by Miss Jones.