Spratton Station with a Renown 4-4-0 LNW 1954 LMs5121 'Galatea', rebuilt from Alfred the Great October 1924.
The London to Birmingham railway had been built in 1838 by-passing Northampton. On 16th February 1859 a branch line to the London to Birmingham railway (London and North Western Railway) was opened from Northampton to Market Harborough, stopping at Brampton, Brixworth and Lamport. It was an 18 mile single line track and two trains ran each way daily. In 1864, after urgent appeals from people in Spratton, LNWR opened a new station where the line crossed the Spratton to Brixworth Road, with four trains each way stopping daily. By 1871, the Station Master was Isaac Hicks and in 1874 Abraham Matthews took over the job. Because of increased usage another track was built and the double track line was opened on 4th August 1879. Known station masters were Isaac Hicks (1871), Abraham Matthews (1874), John Crabb (1878), Henry Mayse (1910 - 1914).
On 23rd May 1949 Spratton Station was closed to commercial traffic, but the last train ever to run - a 'passenger special' - ran on 15th August 1981.
Image Reference: 0483
Related Searches: Transport cars trains buses aeroplanes | 1920