Watercolour of Spratton from the collection of H.L.Loyd.
This appears to be the corner of Manor Road and School Road. The grass triangle, fenced off at the time, is a key to locating this picture. There was a dwelling shown on the 1883 map on the left in this picture, where today is found Bobby Abbott's small grass area with dwarf posts. It is known that there were houses (on the right) in what was then Dring's Lane, although they have disappeared by the time of the 1883 map. Beyond them the shape of the walling indicates the still existing buttresses. The view through to the Brixworth area may have been free of buildings or this may be artistic licence - the school would have been visually tucked behind the dwelling on the left and, of course, the village hall (which now sits in this location) was not built.