Note that Starvold Close and The Piece are derived from old field names.
Note the fields marked 'Town Lands'. This was the original position of the allotments owned by the Spratton Town and Land Charity, established 1664 (see entry SP1 in the Record Office's Parish Records file, page 10, where there is a write-up on the outline of this Deed).
SP28/29 records events leading up to the transfer of the allotments from their position in 1892 - part of land that is now Spratton Grange or Spratton Grange Farm - to their current position. The proposal was made by W H Foster, then owner of the Grange. After much discussion and valuation considerations, the swap was approved on 11.7.1892 by the Board of Agriculture under its 1889 Act. However, there were objections raised by 9 men from Spratton, claiming that the new land was inferior. These objections resulted in the holding of a local Public Enquiry by Mr Rolleston on 3rd November 1892. The decision was clearly upheld, because there is a Deed (SP11) from 1892 in respect of the transfer. Trustees of the Charity at the time were John Llewellyn Roberts, William Henry Foster JP, Frank Bruce Simson JP, Andrew Mallard Pearson farmer, Richard Henry Gilby farmer, George Deacon Holt farmer. Thus the present allotment land dates back to 1892.