Partridge's Exclusive Series of Sepia view Postcards of Spratton
Published for E. Partridge, Ye Olde Established Stores Spratton
295/12 High St. Corner Station Rd. Spratton
It is known that there was a general store here in 1901, owned by a Mr. James, and later by Mr Howlett, before coming into the ownership of the Partridges sometime before 1926. It was a general store, selling grocery, greengrocery, hardware, stationery and tobacco. This photograph shows metal advertisements on the walls for products such as Lyons Tea and Sunlight Soap ("£1000 Sunlight Soap Guarantee of Purity"). In the 1930s the corner shop was owned by the Cory family, followed by Mr. and Mrs. Bryant, who closed it in 1984. It was then re-opened as a hairdresser by Dawn Mallard in the same year. In 1993, the left hand section was Brown's Bouquets, a florist. Later, this became a doctor's surgery, an annexe of the Brixworth medical practice.