Partridge's Exclusive Series of Sepia view Postcards of Spratton
Published for E. Partridge, Ye Olde Established Stores Spratton
295/3 Erskein Cottages, Spratton
'Northbank', 12 Manor Road. Grade II Listing states that it is late 18C, but more likely to be late 1600s or early 1700s (the date stone is unreadable). This is the house on the right with the later addition 'Northbank Cottage' (10 Manor Road) to its left in the picture. Part of Northbank was once a butcher's shop, run by Mr Page. Originally there was a stable block behind 'Northbank' - when this block was demolished, shoe-making equipment was found in the rooms above the stables. Before the Second World War, a large upper room in the house was used as a Young Men's Club - there was a billiard table, shove ha'penny, but strictly no alcohol. When Northbank Cottage was in separate occupation (Dr Tennant lived here 1975 - 1981 and carried out a substantial refurbishment including adding a double garage), its entrance was in School Road, and it probably had a School Road address. The two properties were joined up in the 1990s.
The two remaining Erskine Cottages are on the left. These were reconstructed in 1937, for which purpose a grant was made by the County Council under the Housing (Rural Workers) Acts, 1926 to 1938, which subjected them to maximum rents of 6s. 10d and 7s. 9d respectively for a period of 20 years from the completion of the work.
Image Reference: 1910
Related Searches: Houses built 18C | Street views | Thatched buildings | Then and Now comparisons | 1920