The Main family. They were butchers from 1766 or earlier and possibly owned the smithy adjacent the White Horse Coaching Inn, and were awarded 3+ acres just down the hill in 1766). At this time, they were butchers at the bottom of Drinns Lane (now School Road) more or less opposite the Primary School. One of Spratton's wells is named after the family and is located at the junction of Drinns Lane and School Road at the southern edge of the school property. The three butchers in the family were John Main (1795 - 1865), Robert Main (1824 - 1906) and Edwin Rowden Main (1851 - 1903), who was living at 15 Brixworth Lane (now Brixworth Road) in 1891.
The photograph shows Edwin's wife Harriet Pickett Main; a 13 year old cousin Maggie Harding (standing); Harriet's daughter Louisa Annie Cranham (nee Main, born circa 1877); Harriet's grand-daughters - (front centre) Kathleen Louise Cranham aged 7-8, and sitting Norah Cranham aged 2.