The Radley-Moorhouse monoplane piloted by William Moorhouse on Northampton Racecourse. The sight was so unusual that crowds, who had never seen an aeroplane before, gathered to watch. The buildings in the background are in St. George's Avenue and are all still standing. Moorhouse was granted his Royal Aero Club certificate on 17th October 1911 and the same day he flew to Northampton to collect a consignment of shoes from Messrs Barratt's for delivery to Hendon. This was hailed as the first commercial use of an aeroplane for a parcel (the first air letter was on September 11 1911). A strong wind prevented a landing on the Racecourse and Moorhouse touched down at Midsummer Meadow near Nunn Mills. Unable to take off because of the weather, the plane was stored overnight at Mulliner's Garage (they had an interest in aeroplanes and had completed the construction of one as reported in the Northampton Independent on 12 March 1910 - there is no evidence of it having flown) The Bleriot was taken to the Racecourse on 18 October 1911 and Moorhouse took off. Poor weather forced him to land at Fenny Stratford and the delivery was completed on 20 October.