Date not known
The White Horse Inn, Brixworth Road
We know from auction details of 1822 and 1826 that the house was probably a coaching inn called the White Horse Inn. It was then owned by Francis Beynon Hackett, who had inherited it from Francis Beynon, following Hackett's marriage to daughter Elizabeth. In 1821, it was in the occupation of widow Phillips when this property, together with 484 acres in Spratton were mortgaged (Record Office YZ5944). In 1824 (Record Office YZ5924) and Northampton Mercury 24 August 1822, the occupier was Thomas Phillips. Per the 'Mercury' 5 July 1845, it was described as a public house with its own brewhouse.
The Inn (and the rest of the estate put up for auction) did not sell, for it was put up for sale again in 1838. Later, Edward Francis Boultbee (perhaps the mortgagor) and Francis Beynon Hackett sold it on 16.6.1849 to Thomas Wright Bosworth, (died 31.5.1856) passing to his son Henry Wright Bosworth via Trustees on 2.8.1873. The smithy, which was part of the conveyance, is described as formerly a butcher's shop (possibly belonging to the Main family, who were butchers from 1766 or earlier, and were awarded 3+ acres just down the hill in 1766).
Henry Wright Bosworth sold it to Thomas Green on 22.6.1878, and it passed to son Albert Thomas Green, who died on 19.12.1923. He left it to Ellen Green who sold it in 1927. Her relationship with him is not known, but perhaps a second wife.
Ellen Green sold it to Joseph and Mabel Copson on 19.1.1927. Samuel Blundell rented the smithy in the 1930s, and his son George rented the garages for his buses. The Blundell's lived 4 doors down Brixworth Road from the smithy; both had died by 1938. His business was taken over by Jack Bowers.
The Copsons sold it to Major Charles Dudley Flint, who re-named it 'Rathgar' (presumably due to his Irish background), on 30.12.1935. Flint was a retired army officer, and his son Barry (there were two other children Billy and Kathleen) became the youngest brigadier general in his mid-twenties. The father died on 20.8.1957, and his widow, Elizabeth May Flint, sold it to George Kenneth Tattersall of Spratton Hall School on 8.5.1959.
Chris Saul acquired it in 1982.
The house was originally two storey (see image 2321), possibly a farmhouse from the late 1700s. The door is off-centre, suggesting inglenook fireplaces on the right. The upper part was added in 1902.
Image Reference: 1419
Related Searches: Houses | People