This shows commercial premises from that time. Note the Post Office on the main road (no shop shown at the corner of Station Road and School Lane) and the Roman Catholic Church in what is now the Scout Hut. The old Vicarage still stood at that time, as did the Conservative Club and the bakery adjacent. Street names are from that era, but previous names for some of these streets are known to us, as follows.
Smith Street was once 'Third Turn'.
High Street was once 'Billy's Backside', so named because it ran along the backside of Billy Lantsbery's house ('Manor') in Manor Road. It was also referred to as the Town Street of Spratton.
Manor Road, from Brixworth Road to the junction with School Road, was previously known as Johnsons Road after the baker on the Brixworth Road/Manor Road corner.
The section of road between Manor Road and the Church of England School was once known as Drings Lane
The section of road between the junction of School Road and Manor Road and Spratton Hall was once called Waterloo after General Whichcote who lived at the latter in the 1840s and who had fought at the battle of Waterloo. In the 1891 census there are 28 dwelling units in this small section, and this includes the farmhouse associated with Spratton Hall (immediately south of Home Farm), the building end on in image 1917.
Haynes Lane (not marked on the map, but runs between Manor Road and School Lane/Road) was once Sandy Lane.
Yew Tree Lane, from its junction with Brixworth Road down to the Green, was once called Turners Road after the baker at No 1 Yew Tree Lane.
Nos 11, 12, and 6 Yew Tree Lane (previously 3, 4 and 5 The Green) were once known as the Green. This Green was originally in the ownership of the Parish Council but, following their failure to register their interest, it is now owned by no-one, although its maintenance including the Jubilee Oak is the responsibility of Northamptonshire County Highways
Yew Tree Lane, south of the Green, was once Yew Tree Hill, and before that Entry Hill or Mud Lane.
And going east (towards Brixworth) in front of Gilby's Farm (now Olde House Farm) was Hall Lane, believed to have been the driveway - through an avenue of Elm trees - to a large house set one field back from Brixworth Road and opposite the old cemetery.
Rope Walk was so named because it was used for twisting ropes