According to the report by McDowdy, it was a hall house of raised cruck construction, from 1500 or earlier with the chimney-piece and axial beam introduced circa late 16th century.
However, Giggins does not subscribe to this view, and this is supported by the fact (see 'Bateman land' file) that the existing substantial 3-storey house was built by Thomas Chapman in the 1690s.
Whilst originally a single house, it became two dwellings around the early part of the 18th century, reverting to a single house late on in the 20th century.
This was the home and farm-yard (now Dale House) of the Chapman family from the early 1700s (or before) until it was sold in 1849 to Rev. John Bateman Bateman. It was occupied by members of the Bateman family until 1881 or later.