The inside of the bakery in Manor Road, which closed in 1951. Shown in the photograph is Bert Wykes, who started work in the bakery in 1927, when the baker was Thomas Harris. In those days, people who had no oven at home used to bring their Sunday dinners to the bakery to be heated up. Despite tins being clearly marked, there were often mistakes (or not?) upon collection with children taking a slice out of someone else's dinner before realising the mistake! The charge for heating a roast and Yorkshire pudding was 2d., a turkey cost 6d., and a cockerel 4d.