Although titled High Street, this was in fact Brixworth Road, with High Street on the left. Note the house (since demolished, but part of the front wall remains) just below what is now the hairdressers.
It is known that there was a general store here in 1901, owned by a Mr. James, and later by Mr Howlett, before coming into the ownership of the Partridges sometime before 1926. It was a general store, selling grocery, greengrocery, hardware, stationery and tobacco. This photograph shows metal advertisements on the walls for products such as Lyons Tea and Sunlight Soap ("£1000 Sunlight Soap Guarantee of Purity"). In the 1930s the corner shop was owned by the Cory family, followed by Mr. and Mrs. Bryant, who closed it in 1984. It was then re-opened as a hairdresser by Dawn Mallard in the same year. In 1993, the left hand section was Brown's Bouquets, a florist. This later became a doctor's surgery, an annexe of the Brixworth medical practice.
The house, with its gate open, was used by Frank Cook as a coal merchant, and was later run by Harold Eldred.
The signs to the right of this show that there was a shop here, which dates the photograph after 1926 when the Copsons opened this, just below where Spratton Stores is to-day. This would, obviously, have impacted on the trade of this shop here.
The house, further to the right was used by Bill Higgs as shoemaker and repairer, and was demolished by the Greenwoods in the 1950s, when the shop was moved up hill by one property from the location shown in this photograph.
At the extreme right of the photograph is the edge of the garage, which exists today and is used for storage by Spratton Village Store.