Patients relaxing in the drawing-room at Broomhill with the popular commandant, Miss M de Putron, daughter of the late Rev J P de Putron, ex-vicar of Kingsthorpe. Miss de Putron gave up work at St. Dunstan's to take up this post.
During the war the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Church, moved into the groom's quarters and in 1941 let the main house to Blagdens, a small firm from London who had been bombed out of their offices. Blagdens came with all their staff and stayed until Broomhill became an annexe to Northampton General Hospital in June 1943. Here patients were able to recuperate after their operations. After June 6th 1944 only military patients were admitted and Mrs. Church, a VAD, was able to help with the nursing. The house took a maximum of 40 soldiers and regime was strict. There is a story that some of the soldiers escaped by climbing down the wisteria from the upper bedrooms and walked across the fields for a drink in the Chequers in Spratton.