SLHS was founded in 1999 with the aim of bringing together people with an
interest in the history of the Spratton and the surrounding area.
- Holds meetings six times a year - most with speakers
- Encourages members to carry out their own research which can then be
- Archives old photographs, maps and drawings on computer - about 2000
- Holds a Spratton family database of some 5000 individuals covering the
main families residing in the village in the 19th century
- Holds exhibitions of archive material.
- Records memories of elderly people about Spratton in 20th century
- Collaborates with other societies, giving illustrated talks
- Gives guided tours of the church and village to overseas visitors and
- Applies for and receives grants to carry out its work
- In 2005 published a 132 page book "Spratton - A Village History" and a
CD containing village photographs and the family database
- In 2007 published a 56 page book "Memories of Old Spratton", a
companion volume to "Spratton - A Village History"
- In 2009 published a book on "The Farming History of Spratton
Membership costs £5 single and £7.50 family, and anyone with
an interest in Spratton is very welcome. The new programme is available in May each year. For an
application form, please contact SLHS at 9 Church Road, Spratton. 01604 821260